Sunday, November 3, 2013

Welcome to Chow-fectionary Creations


Hello Foodies, or Non-Foodies around the world (I don't judge). Welcome to Chow-fectionary Creations! As egotistical as it seems, it's because my last name is Chow, I thought it was pretty ingenious. At this blogpost I'll share with you my favorite desserts, tips, and tricks that are sure to impress your friends, family, and yourself. But let's dispense with the formalities and get on with cooking!




Because we're heading into the fuzzy slippers and pajamas season, I thought I would use that as an excuse to make one of my all time favorite desserts. Chocolate Creme Brulee! That's right and if you don't know what a creme brulee is then you have no life. I'm just joking...but seriously. Creme Brulee is a decadent custard topped with that crackly sugar, just to die for. And you know adding chocolate to it is just gonna make you die twice. I adapted this recipe from my Julia Child's Recipe Book that my grandfather gave to me and this dish is kind of like my homage to him, love you Aagong. Of course this dish did not have any chocolate in Julia's version, but we had to up the ante on 101. And I have to say it was delicious.


Here are the ingredients to get you started.
4 egg yolks
5 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon Cornstarch
1/4 cup of Unsweetened Cacao Powder (I use Rockwell)
1 3/4 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
1 Vanilla Bean
Brown or White Sugar for topping

So to start beat the egg yolks with the 5 tablespoons of sugar for about 3 minutes, until ribbon form. Then beat in the cornstarch for another minute.

In medium saucepan over medium-low heat, and bring the heavy cream and scraped vanilla bean (you can even throw the whole pod in there as well) to a boil.

Take a ladle of cream and pour it into the eggs whisking all the while to temper the eggs. This means to slowly bring the eggs up to temperature so they don't curdle. One you have incorporated half of the cream through this process you can go ahead and pour all of the eggs into the saucepan.

Over moderate heat, watching very closely, and never allow it to simmer. Stir constantly. The sauce will thicken as it cooks – but do not let it unattended because it will burn. At this poit you can go ahead and add the chocolate. We do this step last so the chocolate doesn't get a chance to burn. And no one likes burnt chocolate. NOBODY!!! A trick you know it's done is that it should be thick enough to coat the back of your spoon.

Pour your creme into ramekins of your preference and refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Sprinkle with sugar and use your torch to crystallize it, or, alternatively, place in a preheated broiler for about 5 minutes. The second one is safer. Top with fresh fruit and whipped cream or if you like dust with powdered sugar and cocoa. As you know coffee is a naturally flavor enhancer of chocolate so I suggest you pair this chow-fection with a nice coffee. 















And as always, 

Chow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Type in a Recipe or an Ingredient